Wednesday 6 May 2009

What's this blog about?

THE CHALLENGE: To find something in the UK news every day from May 6th to July 6th that highlights gender inequality. 

THE REASON: Most people - including me, for the first 22 years of my life - believe that feminism is irrelevant, unnecessary, worlds away from their everyday lives. I understand how obviously feminist issues like the pay gap or domestic violence can seem far removed for a lot of people, especially if you're middle-class, able-bodied, cis-gendered, heterosexual, white, or some combination of the above. If I can find something local and relevant every single day that makes me think, "THAT'S why I'm a feminist!" then at least some of it should strike home for at least some of the people who read this blog. 

Being a feminist isn't just about marches and protests, as important as those things are. Just recognising and calling out the banal, overlooked, socially acceptable sexism around us is crucial. Realising this was how I came to identify as a feminist. 

THE FORMAT: Sometimes the news article will speak for itself, and sometimes I'll put in some explanation of why I feel this is a feminist issue. There will be no option to comment on the posts. If you disagree with my reasoning, or feel there's more to discuss, that's great - write about it in your own blog and link back here. If I have to moderate and/or reply to comments, this challenge will turn into a chore. Maybe later the format will change, but for now I just want to focus on getting the articles up on a daily basis. 

THE PERSON: Hairy, man-hating and humourless, naturally. You're not allowed to be a feminist if you're not.